Distance: 26.00 mi
Type: Out-and-back, Road
Difficulty: 2 / 10
More Info: Visit Web Site
Address: PO Box 1040, Stinson Beach, CA 94970
Filed Under: Running
JOIN US IN DEATH VALLEY!
This is one event where participants cross the finish line smiling ear to ear and asking, "When can I sign up for next year?" The entire course is below sea level and surrounded by desert wilderness! Consider this the most unique way to qualify for the Boston Marathon. The course is USATF certified.
DESCRIPTION | Marathon, Half Marathon, 10K
Enjoy an out-and-back relatively flat course (fewer than 500 feet of climbing and descending).
You'll admire the beauty of the surrounding desert as you follow this paved run from Furnace Creek Ranch along Hwy. 190 through the heart of Death Valley National Park.
The entire course is below sea level with fantastic vistas of the surrounding mountain ranges: the Panamints, the Funerals, the Cottonwoods, the Blacks and the Grapevines. Your immediate surroundings are the exotic flora and fauna found only on the desert floor. This is probably one of the most unique courses you could pick for your next race. The desert is beautiful this time of year with mild temperatures; lows range between 30 and 40 degrees and highs hit the low 70s.
FROM LAS VEGAS:
* From McCarran International Airport, follow signs for I-15/I-215.
* Take I-215 West to I-15 South.
* Take I-15 South and turn West on Hwy. 160 to Pahrump.
* DO NOT turn left towards Shoshone at Hwy. 32, but continue on Hwy. 160 approximately 3 miles to Belle Vista Rd.
* Follow signs to Death Valley.
FROM THE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA:
* Take I-5 South to Bakersfield.
* Take Hwy. 58 East to Mojave.
* Take Hwy. 14 North to Hwy. 395 and go North to Olancha.
* Take 190 East to Death Valley.
FROM LOS ANGELES:
* Take I-15 North to Baker, CA.
* Exit to Hwy 127 North to Shoshone, CA (approx. 56 miles).
* Just beyond Shoshone, turn left on Hwy.178 (Badwater Road).
* Drive approx. 72 miles to intersection with Hwy. 190 at Furnace Creek.
* Turn right for Inn and left (1 mile) for Ranch.